lunes, 23 de septiembre de 2013

Start a diet: a positive state of mind. Yes, I can!

This week is being a roller coaster, and I think it’s time I tell you why. Last Thursday I finally decided I want a change in my life. I’ve been overweight for the past 10 years, and I’m tired of the looks that every person that I see on the street sends me (remember that I live in a very, very small town where everybody knows each other). I not only see the looks that strangers give me, but also the looks of my family and friends, specially the former group. I know they care about me and when they repeat each and every time they see me that I should start losing weight it’s for my own benefit, but I am fed up with it, especially at how they tell me that I am fat. I know I am, and I don’t need my extended family to remind me every single day of that (and most of the times in awful ways), do I? To prevent my anger from exploding in their faces and from shouting all kinds of insults at them I’ve followed the strategy of ignoring them when they talk to me about weight loss for the past five or six years.
But no more.

I finally decided that I want this change. I’m aware that I’ve tried hundreds of times, always with a nutritionist (it’s dangerous to do it on your own, especially the first times and especially if you have a small willpower), and it always failed. Or rather, I always failed. I made up excuses, justified myself, kept thinking “only this one time” when the temptation to grab a piece of chocolate or to eat a piece of bread with Nutella was too strong to keep it under control.

I am also aware that this is not only an issue of losing or not losing weight, it’s also a change of attitude, which I never cared about before. I’ll explain. For many years (ever since I started doing diets when I was around 12) I’ve believed that I have such a small willpower that I get tired, bored, and lose interest in diets after a few months. Also, for many years I’ve been constantly insulted by the people who, apparently, loved and respected me. Both family and acquaintances looked down on me and kept repeating me how hideous, unworthy, fat and disgusting I was. That was a long time ago and I don’t let that consciously affect me anymore. But I have the suspicion that, unconsciously, these thoughts are a great barrier that prevents me from getting my goal.

And I also think that these horrible thoughts connect with the apparent small willpower that I have. Perhaps it’s not that I have small willpower, perhaps is that these thoughts are acting as an unconscious barrier against what I really want (whatever the reasons, I don’t know). Every time I try a new diet I get those horrible feelings and thoughts of how unworthy I am and how incredibly I’m going to fail, and not only in this aspect but in several other aspects of my life. Failure has become something both terrible and usual in my life, and that, I think, is the proof of how unworthy and unlovable I am. All of this happens unconsciously, but I think these thoughts are getting stronger and stronger with every time I try to do something and I don’t succeed; and I have the proof when, before taking a shower, I look at myself naked in the mirror and I have to take my eyes off it because I can’t stand the sight. In these moments I ask myself how do I have the shame to go out and let people see the mess I am, and how people can stand the sight of me if I can’t even stand it myself.

All these thoughts are dangerous, especially when this is the only body I have and I have to live with it my whole life. That’s why I know that I need to commit in heart and soul for this. Not only to actually lose weight (which implies eating smart and staying active, something that I’m not used to do), but also to stay positive and motivated no matter how hard it gets. I have a long way ahead, 30kg (or 66lb) is an awful lot of fat to reduce and this is not going to be accomplished in two or three months. I know that and I know that I need to work both on the weight loss and the new positive state of mind that I need for this to be accomplished.



So this is my commitment to you, person who is reading this, and to myself. Because I deserve better than these awful thoughts of myself, and because I deserve better than the disapproving looks people give me, both stranger and non-stranger. I deserve better than that, and I need to believe in it.

Thank you for reading,


Melissa.

PS: Visit Dan Flatt's blog about how he's doing with his own diet. He's great! Keep it up, Dan!



1 comentario:

  1. It's true. I completely understand your feelings, and I know you deserve better indeed. I've been, AM, in the same situation. And I know how hard it is.
    My small piece of advice is the following. Make up your mind you will have to work hard for at least 2-2,5 years in order to acomplish your goal, it's not something you could do in 6 months (and if you do it's not healthy or the right way). It is, as you said, a change for life, a change in attitude, in perspective, the way of behaving. It is a change for life. In addition, keep moving. As it is written in my runners: "find your rhythym, keep moving". There are no secrets for losing weight, but do sport and eat healthy. If you find the gym boring, just try those classes like Zumba or whatever. I'm going to the pool and to one aclass called "Total Body Workout". It's FUN and I really enjoy it. Find someone to go with and that'll make things easier.

    I know we normally don't chat too much, but if you ever need to talk about this topic, you know where to find me. I lost 15kg in a year and a half, but then me di a a la mala vida, eat whatever I wanted and drink as much as I wanted and never went to the gym for 5 months or more, so I gained another 5-7kg. Now I'm back, going to sports almost everyday because I still have another 20kg to go now. For me it's been easier when I had a good friend of mine supporting me all the time. So, if you anytime need anything, you know where you can find me.
    My best regards and support for you.

    ResponderEliminar